Saturday 17 July 2010

Inception

Last night I put my tiredness after a 9-5 week aside in order to see one of the most anticipated films of the year on the day of release. I've been almost frothing at the mouth with excitement over it for the past 2 months, now, so I sure was glad that it didn't disappoint. If anything, it surpassed my expectations. Chris Nolan (bold statement alert) really has set the new standard for film making after this impeccable mind-bender of a spectacle - my next cinema experience will be somewhat marred I'm sure by the fact that in no way will Toy Story 3, or any other upcoming film, no matter how good it may be, quite compare. The action sequences are so incredibly fucking cool, your popcorn may well drop out of your gaping jaw (mine sure did - embarrassing.) The effects were awesome, the acting was outstanding from literally every member of the cast (though Tom Hardy and Marion Cotillard in my humble opinion deserve a special mention - I must also point out what a suave son of a bitch Joseph Gordon Levitt has become) and the score, though not quite as atmosphere enhancing as that which Zimmer created for The Dark Knight still receives a gold star. What really defies belief, however, is the sheer intricacy of the film. The various "levels" of dream world, and all the plot twists and turns require the work of a true genius in order to not let the viewer become overwhelmed. Yes, I am calling Chris Nolan a genius. In fact, I want to lick his brain, and then rub it against my own brain until we have brain babies which I can nurture and study in an attempt to understand how one man's brain can be so fucking cool. The ending of the film was so smart (though I daresay a tiny bit of an obvious choice given the theme of the film) it made all those smarmy gits sat around me make a statement approximating "ahonghonghong yasyas very good" and I'm sure in the months between now and its DVD release, we'll all be discussing what the ending truly means.

This really was a gushing "review", if you can call it that. But if it makes you go and see it any faster: job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment