Thursday 28 October 2010

Never Let Me Go

One of the good things about currently being located in New Orleans - besides the fact the weather is glorious (temperature is in the high 20s-mid 30s every day), the people are amazing, the food is delicious, I've finally begun to understand the rules of American Football and am happily following the mid-term election coverage - is that two films I have been eagerly awaiting and would not have otherwise had access to until post-January in the UK are already out here. The first of which, is Never Let Me Go.

You may remember me harping on about how excited I was for its release some time ago when it was announced as the opening night film for London Film Festival. I waited and waited for my invite to the Gala to arrive, and you know what? Apparently having worked for an independent film PR boutique agency for a couple of months by the time the festival rolls around doesn't qualify you to get an invite to rub shoulders with the industry's finest. I was surprised too. So instead I seethed with jealousy as members of the inner sanctum tweeted about their evenings and Film 2010 cut live to a very drunk threesome of Carey Mulligan, Keira Knightley and Andrew Garfield, all giggling as much as I would be if even found in the same room as them. I shall now put in 12 months' solid work into tracking down Sandra Hebron, making her my best friend, in order that I might be invited next year. In fact fuck it, by next year I'll be presenting Film 2011. You can count on it.



But back to the film. Yesterday afternoon, while the poor people who are housing me (my family) were all at work, and the weather was lingering somewhere between "I'm going to kill you with heat" and "I'm about to storm all over the place" I dipped into a very nice cinema just on the fringes of the French Quarter to benefit from the Air-Con and Andrew Garfield's face. The film is certainly not for those seeking an action-filled, laughter inducing couple of hours. If you're looking for heart-wrenching performances from two of Britain's finest talents (Carey Mulligan and Andrew "the future" Garfield) and one Britain's sort of OK acting talents (Keira) however, then Never Let Me Go is more than just the ticket. All the more, you will never see as brilliant casting as you will when you compare the difference between the actors who excellently play Kathy, Ruth and Tommy whilst still at Hailsham, and Carey, Keira and Andrew respectively.



Hopefully that will give you some idea. In all honesty I didn't love the film as much as I entered the cinema hoping to. Andrew is simply perfect, it has to be said, and there is some very moving material to be found, but something was missing. Oh wait that's it - Keira's personality. Though she does make some very convincing cat-being-drowned noises during her "love" scenes with Garfield. Geddit? Cause Garfield is a cat? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. Great. To be fair to her, Ruth's character is not one the audience is supposed to have warm feelings towards, and it must be very difficult to be on screen with Carey who is essentially everything that Keira has always wanted to be. Soz KK.

A special mention should also go to Charlotte Rampling who once again manages to play Charlotte Rampling in dazzling form. Bravo.

I guess I'd give this 3.5/5 but it is certainly worth seeing for Andrew alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment