Friday 25 June 2010

Memory Lane

This is probably lacking in relevance to anyone, but it tickled me a little.
Today I went to visit my Grandmother (she's 95 in 2 and a half weeks, yo - doesn't look a day over 80) in Edinburgh and bless her heart she'd looked out all these old letters I used to send her and diary entries I wrote (then gave to her??) back when I was 10 years old and stayed with her a whole lot because a) I didn't like spending the holidays with my parents and b) my parents didn't like me spending my holidays with them. Holy mother of God that was a long sentence but whatevs. One of the pieces of paper she handed me was apparently the start of some kind of film I was working on for Tim Burton i.e. pointless, horrfically self-consciously "kooky" and unintelligible. Sorry Tim Burton stans, I really dislike the man and 99.9% of his films (excluding of course The Nightmare Before Christmas - childhood classic, the first Batman, and some of Edward Scissorhands.) I'm not sure what this random excerpt was originally written for, it seems to be part of a diary entry but maybe I was trying to write a "story". Either way, the spelling and grammar is perfect (congrats 10 y old me, you'll later become semi-retarded) and seeing as I was such a wee nipper still, I thought I'd share the sheer quirkiness of it. And I quote:
"Once upon a time I took a brief stroll along my bed, this would be my exercise for the month. I promptly got back into bed and dreamt of fish swimming in cheese. I wish I was a fish. When I woke up I had a plate of...yes you guessed it...tortilla chips [what bloody 10 year old knows how to spell "tortilla" correctly without spell checking it?]I then went to the river intent on drowning myself. I soon discovered this would not be possible as the water was only ankle depth. When back at my house I lit a fire in my fireplace. I then remembered I did not own a fireplace. It's my house and...
God only knows what I would have gone on to say. SO, things we have learnt about me:
- I always have and always will write rambly, useless prose for no apparent reason.
- I was a v. troubled child.
- I am 90% sure the above discovery explains why I spent my holidays at my Granny's.

1 comment:

  1. i love this and the idea that you were so literate as a child. i have a special certificate from reception class for 'reading well' that i am very proud of.

    ReplyDelete